While the dictionary defines happiness as “the state of being happy” which gives you very little information about the idea or feeling of, or state of happiness. Let us look at some different things that happiness can be, but realize that in truth, happiness is in the mind of the beholder.
- Your Needs are Met – When a person is happy, they usually don’t even have any needs that aren’t being met to the level they want them to be met. It doesn’t mean that someone is not having a hard time it’s all about how you make what you have filled your needs.
- You Feel Satisfied – When you are happy you tend to feel simply satisfied with your life. You think about your life and feel good about it. You feel very satisfied when you look around your life and see all the fortune you have whether it is where you live, who you live with, or just about yourself does not even matter.
- You Feel Content – A happy person tends to feel really content about the things in their life. They feel content about their job, their home, their things, and their health – nothing is nagging at their mind about anything causing stress. But remember happy people do have stress, they are just better at feeling content even when things are not perfect.
- You Are at Peace – A happy person often feels a lot of peace surrounding their life and family. They tend to know that everything will turn out okay and are good at turning negativity around into positivity.
- Your Definition – The truth is, happiness is how you define it personally for you. It is not about getting tons of stuff unless you want that. It is not about finding a spouse unless you want that. It is not about having kids unless you want that. It is all up to you and how you define happiness.
- It’s a Journey – Happiness is not a destination that you get to one day and stay at. It is a lifelong journey that will have many ups and downs and struggles. However, overall the ups and downs of life, you manage to feel good about it. In the 1989 movie, “Parenthood” one of the main characters, a mother, who is struggling states that she loves “the rollercoaster” of life while her husband is struggling and not as happy because he focuses on the downs instead of the ups.
- It’s How You Act – When you are happy you tend to act in more positive ways overall. When happy, you eat better, you move more, and you think differently. Do not worry. You have it in your power to be happy where you are in your life right now.
Happiness is more than thinking positive thoughts. Happiness is having your needs met, but it is not about having everything, or even the best, it is about being satisfied with what you have while also being able to work for the things you want. While you do have to do more than think positively to really and truly feel happy, it does start with your thoughts. However, it will manifest with your actions.