“Habits are not a finish line to be crossed. They are a lifestyle to be lived.” – James Clear
Your habits will make or break you (and your business). One of the best things you could do is read James Clear’s book, Atomic Habits. It’s essential reading for any entrepreneur who wants to up his game.
Your daily habits will determine not only how far you progress, but how fast you do too. Some people who seem like super-achievers just have better habits that the masses don’t.
Your habits will carry you long after the initial burst of motivation has left you. For example, if you’re trying to lose weight, you may be raring to go when you just get started. You decide to walk for an hour a day.
Now, if you’re 30 pounds overweight, it may take you 15-20 weeks to lose all the excess pounds. But here’s what usually happens – you’ll lose motivation and interest by the 4th week or so.
You may have expected to lose all the weight in a month. An unrealistic expectation, but people often underestimate just how long it takes to achieve goals. Most people will quit after the first month because the motivation has left them.
The results aren’t anything to write home about. The juice just doesn’t seem worth the squeeze… so they quit.
However, if you had the habit of walking daily, you’d still walk for 60 minutes every single day regardless of what number showed up on the weighing scale. In about 5 months, you’d have reached your ideal weight.
All because you stuck to the habit no matter what your results were. That’s how powerful a good habit can be.
If you’re an entrepreneur, you’ll need to establish several good habits in your daily routine. It takes time to establish good habits. So you might want to create a habit stack that’s part of your daily routine. By executing this habit stack daily, you’ll inculcate these habits in your life.
Now let’s look at a few positive habits you can begin with…
1. Follow a fixed sleeping routine. Go to bed and wake up at the same time daily. This is a fantastic habit that will serve you well.
2. Exercise daily. The benefits of exercise are immense. You’re never too busy to exercise. Don’t sacrifice your health for your business. Aim for 30 minutes of activity daily.
3. Eliminate distractions. Avoid squandering your precious time and energy on social media and watching the wretched news which is mostly negative.
4. Visualize your goals daily and see yourself achieving them.
5. Challenge yourself daily. Increase your effort and output. Be more productive. Pain leads to growth.
6. Start a gratitude journal. By being thankful for what you have, you’ll feel happier and attract better things in your life. Having a positive mindset is crucial to success.
7. Plan your day the night before. Spend 15 minutes at the end of every day planning what you’ll do the next day.
8. Network more. Be proactive about meeting or interacting with other like-minded entrepreneurs. Good business relationships will open up tons of opportunities for you.
9. Learn to say no. Say no to unnecessary demands, countless irrelevant commitments, and the myriad of other distractions which crop up often. If they don’t serve you or your business, cut them out.
10. Meditate daily. Retreating into the silence for just 10 minutes a day will help to calm your mind. Many high performers swear by meditation as a very effective tool to calm their minds and thoughts.
Do your best to practice these 10 habits daily so that they become second nature to you.
You don’t need to adopt them all at once. Just aim to master 3 at a time, and once you have a grasp of those, you can move on to the next 3 and so on.
Another facet to improving yourself will be shedding bad habits. These are hard to break, but break them you can. Adopt a gradual approach and slowly wean yourself off your bad habits one day at a time.
Time is your ally here and once you shed the bad habits and replace them with good ones, you will transform your life.
“Successful people are simply those with successful habits.” – Brian Tracy